Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Art Institute Increases

It was announced today that the Art Institute will be requesting an increase in its entrance fees from $12 to $18. Students/seniors will go up from $7 to $12.

I have mixed feelings about this increase. On the one hand, $18 is an awfully high admission fee, especially for a family. I think even the current $12 fee is a bit steep. That's $60 for a family of 5! I can't imagine that many families or individuals are going to be paying the full $18 per person if the fee is increased. Visitor numbers are likely to decrease, possibly to a point where total revenues will not increase.

Consider also that just 3 years ago there was no mandatory fee, just a "suggested donation". I wonder, though, how many people, after waiting in line and being asked by the attendant for the so-called "donation", declined to make the donation and just walked in for free. That would be an interesting statistic.

On the other hand, the Art Institute does offer free Thursday night admission year-round and free Friday night admission during the summer months. Admission is free all day every day during the entire month of February as well.

Considering all those free times, it's unlikely that the admission fee increase will effect me. I visited twice recently, both during free hours, and I'll continue to make use of those free times in the future. I suspect others with limited discretionary income will do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment