Monday, July 20, 2009

Chicago Community Area #2 - West Ridge

Although West Ridge is my home 'hood, I haven't taken the opportunity to officially document it until this week. There's nothing more iconic in West Ridge, known as West Rogers Park to natives, as Thillens baseball field at Kedzie and Devon. Thillens and its major league sized baseball signage have been around since I was a kid. When my parents would drive by Thillens with us in the car, the kids would dream of playing in the "big leagues" at a game at Thillens.

I don't think I ever got the chance to play there, but my kids have played at Thillens. Thillens opens the park for charity organizations who collect the gate fees for the organization. I don't know if Thillens themselves takes a cut at all. I don't think so. Yesterday, the Oriole Park Baseball League was charity of the day. Kids and parents were all very excited to play on a "real" baseball diamond with a real scoreboard and have the kids' names announced on the loudspeaker when they came up to bat. It doesn't get better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment