Monday, July 6, 2009

Chicago Community Area #29 - North Lawndale

On my Sunday long ride yesterday, I followed the "emerald necklace" down to North Lawndale. My mom grew up in this neighborhood and it was once home to a very large Jewish community. I followed Hamlin south as it turned into Independence Blvd. At 1400 south, there's a fountain at a traffic circle where Independence meets Douglas Blvd. I think the fountain, which portrays children celebrating, was created to commemorate the victory in WWII. However, there's not much information online about this fountain and the plaque not says that it was renamed Harold Washington Fountain Square in the 1980s.

There are many former synagogues along Douglas Blvd and in the surrounding area. All of the synagogues have either been converted to churches or are boarded up. Touring the area gave me a sense of the grandeur that was part of this neighborhood. You can tell how beautiful they were in their day and you could almost hear the sounds of the throngs of people who would pray and learn there.

No comments:

Post a Comment