Monday, July 13, 2009

Chicago Community Area #55 - Hegewisch

Hegewisch (pronounced "heg-wish") is the furthest southeast neighborhood in Chicago. The Burnham bike trail runs through the northern section of Hegewisch which also includes Eggers Grove forest preserve and the William Powers State Fish and Wildlife Area.

Powers SFWA is on the peaceful Wolf Lake. On the day I rode there, there were lots of families enjoying the nice weather and picnicing in the park. There was once a Nike missile battery in this park and there is now a monument to that installation in the park. The "missile" on this monument is actually just the warhead (neutralized) of the missile. The actual booster rocket of the missile was much larger.

Warning to all bikers! Do NOT ride on Ave O! It is full of potholes and just before I got to Powers SFWA, I got not one, but two flat tires! I didn't even realize that I had blown both tubes until I had finished changing my back tube and got back on to ride. To get into Powers SFWA, take the turn-off on the left side of Burnham Trail as you go south from Eggers Grove, about 200 yards before you get to Ave O.

No comments:

Post a Comment